As a few of you know from the past, I sometimes send out boxes of my bakes. These started because of a depressed friend needing a cheer up last year and have been erratic since then, usually for a similar reason or for the prize of a giveaway. Since the start of the year I have however been sending at least one out a month. I’ve a list of people who have asked about them, and if you want to get on it, give me a shout. My priorities are however; Friends that need cheering up, a special occasion, a commission (coming to that) and then if none of those have been met I start on the list!
This one is my first commission. A fellow blogger (the lovely Hayley across at TeaPartyBeauty) found out about what I was doing and asked me whether I would send a box to one of her friends. Her friend had recently moved and wasn’t settling too well.
So here it is, March’s Cake Care Package, which has ended up as Caramel Filled Choc Chip Cookies. Add a bit of rock salt and stuff them with a bit of Galaxy Caramel (or similar) and you’ve got yourself salted caramel stuffed cookies without having to awkwardly fill a cookie with caramel. This dough needs chilling for at least 2 hours, but keeps for ages in the fridge, so while they aren’t the quickest if you’ve a tight deadline they are great if you aren’t in a rush.
- 280g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tsps cornflour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 170 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 150 grams light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 1 large egg & 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 grams dark chocolate chips
- 15 pieces Galaxy Caramel (or similar caramel filled chocolate. e.g. rolos etc)
- (Optional) Sea Salt
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter and both sugars until there are no lumps of brown sugar remaining. Then whisk in the whole egg, followed by the egg yolk and the vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until combined into a very soft dough. Fold in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed amongst the dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for at LEAST two hours. This stage cannot be skipped. The longer the better (overnight would be good).
- Removed the dough 10 minutes before using so it can soften slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (150°C fan assisted) and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Divide the dough into 30 even balls. With a thumb, press a dent into 15 of them. To form the cookie, place a piece of Galaxy Caramel into the dent and take one of the untouched balls of dough. Place it over and enclose the chocolate inside. Making sure you seal the edges and cover the whole piece of chocolate.
- Spread out the cookies on the baking tray (you will need to do this in 2, maybe 3 batches, depending on the size of your sheet). Giving them enough room for spreading out. Press gently but do not flatten.Sprinkle the tops with a small amount of Sea Salt (if using). Place the other ones back in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Never go longer than 13, they will continue to cook on the sheet as they cool. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
- Repeat with the other batches. These cookies can last up to 7 days and the dough is freezable.