A long while ago one of my friends was having a particularly poor time, and sadly, they lived way too far away for me to do anything to help particularly easily. After racking my brains for something I could do to try and help lift their mood I decided to ask for their address and told them to wait for a surprise in the post. Buying a particularly poor box from a craft shop and baking up some brownies I posted them down to the other end of the country and waited for a text of ‘Mike, what the hell is this?’, expecting them to have received a box of crumbs and disapproving look from the posty. Despite the poor structural integrity of the box, the brownies travelled surprisingly well and helped make my friend’s day. Since then, I’ve been posting cake on a regular basis, in better quality boxes, to friends and family. Usually it’s to try and cheer people up, but sometimes it’s just because I want to make someone I care about smile. On this philosophy, Cake Care Package was born.
After a couple of different ideas on formats, and postponements, I finally settled on the one you are reading about now, so here goes.
- I will send 2 Cake Care Packages free of charge every month.
- Free packages will be nominated through Google Form
- It’s up to you if you keep your nominations secret or whether you let them know they’ve been nominated.
- Nominations open on the 1st of every month.
- Nominations for free packages must be submitted by 21st of each month.
- Free packages will be posted by the last day of each month (unless otherwise stated that month).
- Any dietary requirements, allergies and addresses must be supplied to me as soon as possible.
- Contents of a Cake Care Package are my decision and may change each month (brownies, cookies and loaf cakes travel best).
- Supplied addresses need to be somewhere that delivery is definite, i.e. somewhere that they will be picked up for sure, you don’t want these going back to the post office.
- Addresses must be within the UK.
- Free packages will be chosen at random.
- Donations are welcome but not essential, I am doing this for fun. If you want to make a donation, please ask how.
- Yes, it’s OK to nominate yourself, everyone needs a little bit of self love from time to time.
- For real time updates follow me on Twitter at BeardedBakery or CakeCarePackage
I will run special ones for Christmas, Easter and other events throughout the year. These will be paid, have special post dates and a theme.
This is NOT a competition. Spam ‘entries’ will be discounted. This is more a random act of kindness aimed at doing something great for someone you care about. Multiple nominations of the same person in the same month from the same person don’t count as more than one nomination. I am also not just after sob stories. All packages are selected completely by random, using a number generator.
This is all done from my own pocket, this is why I cannot send more than two a month. Postage is expensive.